View Single Post
Unread 8 Jun 2010, 10:58   #110
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: World Cup Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran View Post
I don't know about Italy, tbh I don't know their squad very well. Most of their players come from Juventus, who played a very poor season this year.
Buffon, Chiellini, Cannavaro are the certain Juventus players in the squad to feature in the starting lineups. While Cannavaro is old, this is going to be his last Italy competition given his "end career move to Emirates", he is solid, reliable, and well, there's been older players performing good for Italy.

Marchisio is unlikely to be in the starting lineup, but Camoronesi might.

Quote:
Alot of key players have left (Nesta, Totti)
Nesta is a blow. But Chiellini is an adequate replacement at least. Totti has never been "phenomenal" for Italy, in my opinion, he's one of the past couple of years' over rated Italians who will mostly be remembered of his streaks of loss of temper.

Zambrotta Cannavaro Chiellini Criscito is probably still one of the better defensive lineups in the cup teams. The Maggio Bochetti Bonuccio triad are less experienced on international side and sound like backup players.

Quote:
and others are over their top (Cannavaro, Grosso, Zambrotta, Toni).
Half of the people you call over their top aren't even in the squad. What difference does it make to their World Cup squad if Grosso or Toni are over their tops, when they're not included. In a similar fashion I could argue that David Beckham is over his top, but at least he's sitting with the squad albeit in a coaching role. I mean, what is the point of this?

Quote:
Their strikers aren't known to be amongst the best (eventhough Di natale and Iaquinta are good strikers).
Gilardinho's been steadily lethal for the past two seasons for Fiorentina. Di Natale's been in form (top scorer in Serie A this season) despite his old age, and could well be the Toto Schillachi of 2010. I think the Italian strikers are suffering from a lack of visibility to most people who don't follow Serie A, and the poor form of Juventus and so so isn't just down to these people failing to perform, but other as well (who remembers Diego?).

On midfield if fit Pirlo is an outstanding playmaker and a passer if on form definitely in the league with likes of Xavi and Iniesta. De Rossi is very solid too. The wingers might be the concern, I doubt Di Natale's going to play left rather than striker in here.

Quote:
I don't know, I think they will miss the experience of alot of players that quit or didn't play a great season.
Opinions are opinions of course, and it'll be interesting to see it pan out, but I'd appreciate if you at least bothered to check the team squads for world cup so I don't have to explain to you why David Beckham and Luca Toni aren't relevant.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote