View Single Post
Unread 8 Jun 2010, 06:58   #106
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: World Cup Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx View Post
Cambiasso
He's good. However, it's safe to rule Argentina out of the competition for the top seats if merely for the fact that they dropped Zanetti and Cambiasso home. I'm not convinced with the "we'll go with four center backs and swap in full backs if we have trouble starting attacks" -plan. Messi's unlikely to play in a treaquerista'ish role with two class passers (Xavi, Iniesta) feeding him balls so don't expect miracles.

The Dutch seem decent but Robben's recent injury trouble are a big hit. The defence is poor at best, and the, well, Ajax keeper. It's a drop to them Van Der Sar isn't available for duty, since he's truly very good even at his old days. France has had an awful qualification campaign with Domenech and it's a miracle the guy hasn't been sacked yet. The team's in an internal turmoil with paedophiles flying left and right in the squad, they're unlikely to reach past quarters.

The Portuguese - I really don't see why people are listing them, I mean, there's a handful of decents, Miguel Veloso, Cristiano Ronaldo, Deco, but it's still not going to be enough for much. Drogba broke his elbow (or was it arm) so Ivory Coast's out and the African team possibly to pack a surprise to reach quarters could be Nigeria.

England are a strong squad but despite all the Terry fanboys I don't think he's as good as he used to be, and the recent loss of Rio F leaves the defence with Ledley Glassking, who, when fit, can be immensely good, but that's assuming he can actually be fit. He's training once a week, huh. With industrious Rooney, and a hapless 4-4-2 with a black pole in the front with him, they'll make it to semis but are likely to be left wondering if Heskey was running for the golden boot in the first place. Could you equally well be making room for Rooney with the much spoken Gerrard behind rather than Heskey up front?

Spain's an excellent team packed with a lot of talent and are to be a force to be reckoned. They'll probably bring you with nigh the best of football in the cup, but also potentially the best of play acting in the cup. They're contenders for the title, the only real questions are Fabregas' concentration and Torres' fitness. And possibly Casillas. He's still up first, while Valdez could bring a lot too.

Dunga's brought something to Brazil not often seen: a style of discipline and un'brazilian'ish defensive work. Ronaldinho deserved his seat off the pitch by being a lazy fat prick, but the team's looking more like a team than the Brazilian setups, and despite the deep midfield they've got the potential to attack fast with strikers like Maicon (OFFSIDE SORRY) and Luis Fabiano.

Italy's my bet however. Probably seen as underdogs, they're concerned about Pirlo's fitness, but they've had, despite a weak group, a good campaign, and I think they'll pack a surprise. People are very much underlooking them due to the recent drop in the amount of big egos in the team, but you can argue Totti's and Del Pierro's presense in the end aren't that big hits. They still have an outstanding defense (Chiellini, Cannavaro, Criscito, Zambrotta to name the better ones) backed up by one of the true goalkeeping greats in Buffon. The midfield's not as weak as argued either with De Rossi and Montolivo possibly showing quality this year. They've got a good tricky striker in Di Natale, and two other decents in Gilardinho and Iaquinta (mind you, who both are twice the players say Emile Heskey is). They'll defend the title.

To clarify:
Semi Finals:
Brazil - England
Germany - Italy

Final:
Brazil - Italy
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote