View Single Post
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 20:39   #45
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Rape sentence too 'lenient'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Edit. What this a lot has to do with the thread? The thread was started given certain prejudices that exist about men - which should also be included in the discussion of gender equality and the social changes required to make the system "more equal". Rape cases, while a lot are valid and while the crime is blatantly horrible, present a certain degree of discrimination - at least here, and especially on word-against-word cases
Sure. And I don't think you'll find many people (here, I mean) who seriously think quotas (especially something like a 40% quota you mention) is any way a good idea. My objection is to the your suggestion that this is part of some wider (sinister sounding) conspiracy of some kind to build a "matriarchal order". There is legislation in place in parts of the world which is definitely "anti-men". There is also legislation which could be term "anti-women". The existence of one does not justify the other (as every child is taught, two wrongs don't make a write).

Rape cases are difficult to discuss in particular because (much like criminal cases generally) we (the public) are not in possession of all the facts. Sure, neither are juries in some cases, but they'll have a damn sight more idea what's going on than us, and there's a Judge in plan to try and impose some sort of fairness in the debate. For the rest of us, we might be reliant on newspapers (often very poor tabloids with apalling journalistic standards) for our information. And it doesn't even matter what their bias is - the reportage is so shit to be almsot useless. I've no idea whether this girl (in the original post) looked 10, or 5 or 68. But I can comment on the general principle of how the law might (or should) treat offences against someone who looks much younger/older than they are.

Where we are going to make general comments, about matriarchal orders, then I'd merely prefer they evidence their case a little better, and try to separate from the specifics of this (and other) criminal cases (again, which we know precious little about).

Finally, it'd be absolutley spiffing if we avoided this syndrome...

POSTER 1 : "I really like cheese sandwhiches. Oh, and entirely unrelated to this, I think Hitler was a truly bad person - probably the most evil man in history, responsible for the most horrible crimes against humanity."

POSTER 2 : "Cheese? Are you crazy? I prefer ham. I can't believe that you, and your cheese and nazi loving friends still think this. Let me link you to this holocaust webiste which tells us all about the crimes of the nazis and of your evident idol, Mr Hitler. You probably want to marry him and eat cheese sandwhiches at the reception."

And so on.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote