Thread: Are you ready?
View Single Post
Unread 23 Nov 2006, 09:20   #120
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Are you ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I'm not too sure what's going on in this thread anymore so can someone just drop me a line when we're burning all the scientists please.

Essentially its the age old argument of frequencist vs bayesian. Since i think frequencists are weirdos who live in dark holes id tend to agree with traveler that there is no such thing as random (in the literal sense), rather just a lack of information.

That said even if you work out all the governing equations of a system you're still stuffed by deterministic chaos, which hinders a complete appreciation of whats going on.

Its all become a bit arse over tit because on top of all this frequencist v bayesian debating, the 'nature of the universe' has entered the fray, ie traveler is (as far as i can tell) bringing in the strong anthropic principle 'the universe is precise, god didn't gamble with eternity' etc.

Whilst i broadly agree with his take on probability applying those arguments across the multiverse in some vague notion is confusing and odd.

JBG, how come ireland doesn't have any fighter jets?