View Single Post
Unread 17 Aug 2007, 00:56   #140
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: What Should be Taught in Schools?

I would favour a broader, more varied syllabus actively involving and encouraging individual inquiry; more choice given to students, earlier; more teachers and smaller classes.

I think more emphasis, rather than less, should be placed on vocation, by which I mean something closer resembling a 'spiritual calling' or 'inclination' than a particular job or profession. I would encourage introspection and self-awareness. Teachers should, in part, try to make children aware of what they are good at and what they are not so good at; both are positive things if handled sympathetically. Children should be eager to use their talents.

Not sure how I'd try and solve the discipline problem. Needless to say, I don't think a higher concentration of programming or optional attendance would do the trick. Its roots are probably in the family rather than the current educational system.

edit: Oh, and as for what should be taught. I think it's not far off now, subject-wise. I'd probably introduce Philosophy more conspicuously, into RE or something similar. I'd favour a bit more poetry in English classes, but obviously better taught. I'd definitely scrap the curriculum or make it more expansive and less constrictive. The biggest problem is that teaching in general has become too systematic and methodical.

Last edited by Boogster; 17 Aug 2007 at 01:05.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote