Thread: Ze Art
View Single Post
Unread 22 Aug 2007, 19:09   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Ze Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Are Gay
My view on the subject is "Art is Art is Art" so no, i don't think the feeling being expressed matters (to make it Art or not). Using "unusal" feelings only really impacts on the "success" of the piece / artist. If you appeal to a broader range of people you will be probably be viewed as "better" or more successful.
Is this really all it comes down to? The artists that most people respond to will generally be the those whose work produces emotions most in line with what a given society regard as being good to experience. But judging art based on this type of popularity is only possible if you believe that the values and attitude of this society are sane and worth aspiring towards, and many artists are explicitly setting out to challenge this.

Quote:
That doesn't necessarily mean that what you have produced is better Art (like i said i feel complexity / technical ability is a better indicator of a piece's merit) it's just you will be rewarded more.
Why should complexity and technical ability be considered an end in itself? The 'photo-realistic' academic paintings characteristic of pre-19th century art no doubt took a lot of skill to produce, but what does this matter if the subject matter is uninspiring/contrived (for a more recent example: Ron Mueck). Composers like Liszt or Ferneyhough wrote exceedlingly complex music, yet people generally dont tend to respond to it with the same level of emotional intensity with which they respond to certain simpler pieces - should it be considered as better art regardless?

Last edited by Nodrog; 22 Aug 2007 at 19:19.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote