View Single Post
Unread 23 Jun 2007, 12:21   #147
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: [Football] Summer Transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
I'm a bit sad that Henry leaves. But his last season was aweful, and he brought the whole team down with his lack of effort and diving. He did that when he had the captaincy and should have shown leadership for the younger players. So maybe, in the end, it's good for both Arsenal and Henry that he leave.

That said, he obviously needs to be replaced. There is just three strikers left, after Baptista was sent back and Ali was sold to Boro (V.Persie, Adebayor, Bendtner). There is also a great need for a new wide midfielder who can provide goals (a new Pires).
It wasn't really awful, playing through injury yet still ending with 10 goals in 17 games, most of them vitally important goals. The captaincy was likely a bargaining tool used by Wenger to keep him at the club, and while he didn't seem inspirational on the field, he could have been off it (remember he always watches the games he misses from the bench). At the end of last season he criticised the team for relying on him to much and asked them to step up, I think they did so and did so well. So for him to leave now, to me smacks of selfishness. When did he dive?

Walcott could be played further foward some day soon, and don't forget Diaby can play behind the front man (lolling) But yeah, we need another striker, and don't anyone say bent or owen or I will be forced to cut off your fingers and gouge your eyes out with them. We probably do need a wide player, maybe Robben, but saying we should have got Ribery will meet with the same fate as earlier described

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
It just seems since Viera left and leaving Henry to become the only 'true star' at the club that Wenger has seemed to have bent over backwards to play in a way that mirrors the way Henry himself plays and while having the odd player like Henry who plays like that can be great having 11 players trying to play in such a style before substance way just isnt productive, especially when most of the team lack that flair you require to make things happen when playing like that

As for Gilberto, i'm not sure he is the figure you need to make the team work, certainly not on his own anyway. It seems to often lead to the Gerrard/Lampard for england kind of situation where your asking people like febregas to somewhat sacrifice himself to help out in a more defensive role. Either a dominating figures needs to be perchased who can handle the def mid duties alone (theres not many of thes around mind you and the likes of gattaso who could isnt going anywhere) or you need another Gilberto level player who can step in beside him immediatly.

As for your issue over a proper centre foward, why are you so anoyed by it. Having something different to make the attacks less 1d would do you wonders and would probably free the more creative strikers to be more effective. Tevez might actually be a perfect buy for you as he can not only do some of the more flashy stuff but hes like a bull
After Viera left we did have Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg, and of course Fabregas. You also seem to have confused cause and effect. Wenger set up his footballing ethos before buying Henry

You also seem to underestimate Gilberto, I know I did several seasons ago before I looked at the stats and watch his performances more closely. I don't know where you're getting this gerrard/lampard comparison from, because Gilberto is strictly a defensive midfielder. Also I find it interesting that while the current style is to have a defensive and offensive midfielder, both fabregas and denilson can manage being traditional central midfielders without any trouble.

I get annoyed because people see this issues as black and white, nearly every other club has an out and out striker so we must too. They don't see that we have had those players (jeffers lol, kanu etc) and they don't fit into our game plan, certainly not aswell as other types of strikers do. Tevez maybe good for us, but I don't see us getting him, plus worried that he might be Baptista 2.0