View Single Post
Unread 23 Feb 2007, 03:42   #366
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So, who's winning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
You can take action without waiting for others to do it first?

It is not. It is comparable to a real time strategy game, where ticks happen every hour instead of every millisecond. Everyone can take action whenever they like without waiting for their turn.
Let's examine PA on a micro scale. Every hour the ticker goes planet by planet, executes orders (construction, production, military), moves fleets, calculates the battles at each planet. So in fact, PA is turn based.
But i am not only referring to the micro scale. On a macro scale, PA is also turn based. Each night alliances attack. One night alliance A hits alliance B. Next night alliance B will hit alliance A back. Next night Alliance C might join alliance A hitting alliance B, and so on and so forth. PA on a macro level is like a series of events which take place mostly between 3gmt and 7 gmt. So in fact, there are several analogies with turn based games.
Even so, the point is not whether PA is turn based or not, but whether the same criteria that aplies to turn based games applies here. I play my fair share of turn based board games, and my point was that in games where you have 3 players competing for the win things are much more complicated. When you have 2 players competing for the win and a third one who has the power to be kingmaker, things are much more complicated. When you have 2 players competing for the win and other players which don't really affect the end result, the stronger player will attack the second stronger player to ensure victory.
All rounds of PA where eX and 1up played fall imo in the last category. This round does not.