View Single Post
Unread 10 Jun 2006, 02:36   #13
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Re: Linux and Windows Compared: The Facts!

Really hope that more ppl get used to using linux/unix since i think it's possible to earn money on using nix in certain situations. If more ppl had been used to using both nix and winos at school, i think more ppl would atleast used nix when it's been the cheapest option.

Have to admit though, that i've changed my opionon a bit after my last post here. Been trying out ISA server as a firewall at my company, and been able to find ways to block ftp, irc and rdp from internal computer, with only playing around a bit with the mmc. Only tried ISA server because i noticed that the access-lists and nat-tables could be shorteneded alot, and save me alot of resources if i had something more intelligent then a packet filter protecting the network. And because looking at nat-table and the access-lists the reflective lists created, made me aware that some sort of firewall on the inside would be better. And ofcause, a packet filter no matter if it's stateful can't dig into applecations the way ISA server can.

Still would prefer a router or a hardware firewall with packet filtering connected to the internet, but would prefer something like ISA server on the inside. Still think a router with a packet filter or maybe even a linux box running ip-tables could sometimes be good enough. But even though it would have better performance, i would still like to have something like ISA server on the inside, something that could check the application layer of the packets before accepting it.

usually i prefer anything else then MS, but have to admit i really starting to like isa-server

Last edited by Pilatus; 10 Jun 2006 at 02:54.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote