Thread: Dichotomy
View Single Post
Unread 12 Apr 2008, 06:17   #19
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Dichotomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan
It seems to make more sense for someone to be either for both abortions and the death sentence or to be against both abortions and the death sentence.
Actually, that does make alot more sense because its either a "killing is OK" stance or not.

I justify it by saying that the decision to abort an unborn child is never* taken lightly and thus having legalised abortion means that only children who would unduley suffer or otherwise enounter problems (whether psychological, economic or social etc) wouldnt end up being born. Further, a massive fall crime statistics from New York strongly correlate to the Roe v Wade decision being implemented**, so there is a gain there too. The only real case i have against abortion is some sort of "I dont want to be pregnant over summer because then I wont fit into my bikini on the beach" type of mentality. But other than that, it should be fine (though best to be guided, ofc).

However, with respect to criminal justice, generally most crimes that people commit dont warrant their execution (such as traffic offences or 'white collar crime'). However, those that do commit large mass murders and so on who would be most eligible for such a penalty are often psychologically damaged, and due to this illness they shouldnt be shot - they should be incarcerated for our (and their) protection so untill their health improves when then they can face their proper jail time etc. And those who arent in either category; then the denial of freedom and long-term imprisonment means that they have to suffer the consequences for an extended period of time. Ultimately, with the death sentence, any failure or miscarriage of justice that occurs systematically will lead to an irrocovable position whereby the person is no longer in a position to be compensated financiall for their wrongful conviction - which is the case if a person is jailed for a time.

*Unless she is a complete moron, by which her not reproducing as much is probably a good thing.
**Data/arguments reproduced in Freakonomics iirc.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote