View Single Post
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 18:40   #39
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Answer a quick questionnaire for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
People don't like hippies. It's as simple as that. there are many possible reasons; disillusionment with the past; traditional reactionary tendancies in the old; wish to forget their unfulfilled youth; the 1980s; the smell etc but whatever the reason, people don't like hippies.
Many 'hippy' causes are now being adopted by society at large. Skim through an issue of New Scientist or the Economist, pick up a paper and just see how many adverts are some kind of corporate bullshit about how they really care about the environment/ethical trade/whatever.

I would argue that a major contributor to the negative sentiment towards hippies is, in some cases, simply a natural psychological defence. People like things the way they are and they are being asked to change. A strong, aggressive reaction allows you to overwhelm any inclination towards rationality & morality. Without this inclination, there is no cognitive dissonance to worry about; you can carry on what you were doing before without any feelings of guilt.

Again, I'm not a psychologist, so feel free to correct me on this one too.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote