View Single Post
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 14:58   #42
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts
Re: The Ultimate Combat Arena

*Flapjack looked down at the construction that had just appeared, his ship sensors confirmed that it had in fact appeared out of nowhere, on the planet below, several other ships had moved into orbit and his battlecruiser oblivity was holding a rather low orbit with its cloaking and stealth systems at maximum efficiency*

Nav officer: "Approaching drop position, you're still sure you want to take the 'bot sir?"

Flapjack: "Absolutely, move it into drop position, I'm on my way. Captain, you have the bridge."

*With that, Flapjack stepped into a small elevator at the back of the bridge, which quickly ferried him down 3 decks, where he got into the monorail which in its turn carried him 3/4th of the way to the back of the ship. Quickly hopping into the pilot pod of his transport, which was then moved into the 'bot. A few moments later his nerve link activated and he had control of the completely immobilized robot*

speaker: "Standby for drop in 3, 2, 1, LAUNCH!"

*Immediatly Flapjack could feel the soft thump of the release mechanism pushing him out of the battlecruiser's launchbay, which remained cloaked as he appeared from it. He could only hope the 'bot's power signature, almost 0 at the moment, would attract attention. Beneath, the ground sped on, he was still after all moving at several kilometers per second and dropping a few hundred meters per second. The start of reentry was quite easy to spot, turning the massive 'bot into a huge ball of flame, the armor plating expanding and the heat buffers straining to absorb the resultant heat. 3 seconds later the retros activated, further reducing the 'bots speed, heat levels started dropping as the 'bot's speed dropped below 300m/s*

*Looking down past the red glow of his heatsinks, Flapjack could now make out a small concrete circle, which was his target. Immediatly the 'bot finally powered up completely, the computer quickly calculating his balistic trajectory and adjusting it with the retros as well as further reducing speed, an alti-meter popping into view besides him, the numbers still unreadable from his rapid decent. Time seemed to slow down as the circle grew exceedingly fast, the retros suddenly kicking in at full thrust again to keep the 'bot from breaking up on impact. After what seemed like an eternity, the 'bot finally smacked into the ground, dropping to its knees immediatly, then stopping completely, its heatsinks still glowing red-hot*

*Almost another minute later, a hatch on the back of the 'bot popped open and Flapjack pulled himself out, followed shortly by pulling an assault rifle out of the hatch as well*

"Goddamnit, can't start the reactor till you're on the ground is 1 thing, but when the batteries run out just before you hit the ground, how am I to start the damned reactor?"

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote