View Single Post
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 17:28   #52
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Football] Paul Tomkins Article on Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Who are these people you speak of and where do they come from?
Football Fans. Those who have won both (United, Liverpool, Forest heck why not lets throw Villa into the mix) Also fans from abroad (At least fans I have met), the European Cup means a lot to them

Quote:
they finished a very poor fourth. there's not a great deal to be salvaged ouv of that.
1st, 4th doesn't matter as the rules allow it. It's not the same as when Liverpool, Villa, Forest and Manure first won it, but thats still 4 top quality sides from Britain, 4 from Spain, 4 from Italy, etc. That is scary. The amount of quality on show at european games, especially in the later stages. I also like to think that unless you are 1st whats the point, between 2nd and 4th its all the same really. Europe, money etc. (Yes I know you have an extra round in the EC if you are 4th)

Quote:
I'm not contesting the rules. I'm just saying that there was nothing about their qualification or winning the cup or subsequent performances that would indicate they were worthy of being crowned champions of Europe.
You don't have to play nice football to win the European cup, you just have to win.

Quote:
Do you really think that was the best decision for the club? Wouldn't it have made more sense to try and stabalise a consistantly high performing league club? Or did they pick the cup because they were doing crap in the league?
Oh 100% best decision. Villa like Arsenal have a history of winning the league and the fa cup and the league cup etc. However our crowning glory was winning the European Cup. I would give my right leg to win another one in my lifetime. I would rather be Champions of Europe than Champions of England. Plus the amount of teams who have won is quite small. There is that air of exclusivity, something arsenal or chelsea are yet to taste. Yet Brian Clough tasted it twice.

Quote:
yet they still perform poorly in the league.
Do they really? Before Arsenal they hadn't lost at Anfield for 25 games or something rediculous. There away form was getting better and they looked like a team on the up. Arsenal rocked the boat a bit granted, but thats life. Villa lost to Doncaster in the league cup last year.

Quote:
So you believe Liverpool hve ben more sucessful thanChelsea in the past couple of years?
No. Chelsea is a stupid example, I think we all know that. But Liverpool have been sucessful. FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup under rafa, all they are missing is the league. That isn't a bad haul for a "shit manager lolorz"

Quote:
Leeds and Liverpool have shown the opposite.
Except Leeds, as I explained above Liverpool did quite well. No one can compete with Chelsea (21 million Wright-Phillips lol) or Man Utd (30 million for Rooney) when Liverpool go spend stupid money like that, then ye sure say they cant compete. And ffs Leeds was managed by O'Leary. Do I need to say much more?

Quote:
Yet far less clubs have won the Premiership (since its creation) than have won the European Cup.
FU*K

FU*K

FU*K

FOOTBALL WAS CREATED BEFORE 1992. SKY DID NOT CREATE FU*KING FOOTBALL.

Quote:
Of course the cup has a magic. It's the unpredictability and the potential for an upset with an immediate consequence, which is more difficult to sustain for 38 games.
The cup certainly is magic, thats why players play football for the "big" teams because they want to play football in Europe against the best. If pompey were in Europe they could attract better players and it goes on from there.

Quote:
I have always considered the European Cup to be the icing on the cake. to win it is to declare that you are the best team in Europe. Yet without that Championship trophy (or at least having one in recent memory) it all rings a bit hollow and stinks of unworthiness.
I agree and disagree. The European Cup is the cake. Any trophy room the European Cup will take pride. It is the wedding cake of cakes. Sure you can eat a cake every season but you cant get married every year. Unless you are spanish and your neam Real.

Quote:
A consistant team wins the league. A lucky team wins the cup.
When the European Cup was for champions etc, then that idea goes out the window? Villa won the league, then they won the European Cup. Forest won the league, then the European cup etc etc. I see what you mean now, but consistency in Europe is an art form as well.

A great team are a team who achieve the results at all levels, not just against Wigan away on a Monday night 7.45 kick off (another horrible sky invention).