View Single Post
Unread 11 Feb 2009, 08:41   #20
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: A Working Class Hero Once Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat View Post
But if you DO have a job, how does the cost of living compare when looking at fruit picking wages in the US and in Mexico?
I don't know. I think Mexicans can and should make that determination for themselves.
Quote:
But I'm not looking at whether or not it's easier to find a job in the US picking fruit than it is in Mexico. I'm looking at whether the quality of life for a Mexican fruit picker picking fruit in in Mexico is better than a Mexican fruit picker picking fruit in the US.
I don't know what 'quality of life' means, or if it means the same thing to different people. No one is forcing Mexicans to come here and no one is forcing them to stay here. If they don't find their 'quality of life' here to their liking then they should leave.

Of course, if they come here illegally that puts them at a further disadvantage; but that's part of the calculus too. In general, I'd prefer the US return to more open borders but we all have to live with the laws we have and not the laws we wish we had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
The two facts; the american dream and migration of unpermitted workers are fundamentally intertwined. All you have to remember is that like most complicated truths it is not a two sided argument; it is four sided. 1) the migrants harm local jobs, 2) the migrant workers help local economy, 3) the US exploits innocents, 4) the US gives them hope.

Tacitus will be 1) and 4).
Actually, I'm 'none of the above.' All of these arguments were made even back when we had more-or-less unlimited legal immigration and they're still irrelevant.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote