View Single Post
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 18:24   #86
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Britain to be shot down and quarantined by the thought police

entering rather late...

were the odds of the universe being suitable for life meaning life similar to humans, or life in any sense? i'd have thought life was a pretty broad definition when you got right down to it, and would end up turning up pretty much everywhere (no, there probably isn't life on mars - i mean this on a cosmological level).

also, vaguley related and seemingly a little skipped over: we are here. this predicates a universe that can support life - therefore, this universe being able to support life is neither statistically significant or anything other than bloody obvious. as such, i'm unsure as to how it can be useful evidence in a pro/anti god debate.

the same applies to the moon being the right size to cause 'proper' eclipses (which usually seems to come up in these things). were people to move to mars, i doubt there'd be a huge groundswell of belief in god on the grounds that the moon wasn't the right size for eclipses, and therefore god must have made it that way.