View Single Post
Unread 29 Sep 2016, 14:28   #29
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough
Re: How many races should their be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Why would a top planet keep 5-6 ticks of income around when it's getting hit with cargoships? And anyway, I would need to land 4 such attacks a day to keep up with other planets. I'd guess the land rate of solo attacks is about 50%, so that would mean 8 attacks a day, 4 at daytime, 4 at night. That's a lot of effort to get in the same ballpark as normal value planets, which send maybe 3 fleets a day, and even if they don't land for a while, their roids will continue giving them income.
Stealable resources != Stock
Stealable resources == Earnings from combat tick + stock + ongoing constructions + ongoing productions + ongoing ship sales + salvage from dying ships

Quote:
The thing is, while gaining resources is the goal of value-based PA strategies, you don't actually want to have to go out to get resources directly. It's much more efficient to sit on your ass gaining value passively, ie from your roids. Sitting on 500 roids is better than capping X ticks worth of income that those 500 roids would generate, for almost any X, because if you have the roids (not necessarily capped in one attack or even one day), you get the income even if you don't land for a while, whereas if you depend on stealing resources, you have to cap every day or fall behind.

And that's on top of requiring that there's no methods of stopping you from capping even if you land clean, by hiding the treasure (whatever it is) in some way.
newRace planets do still have a basic infrastructure. If i want a sustainable income I could opt to get some refineries going. - Every planet in planetarion starts with the ability to mine 100 asteroids. ....

The point is: while your planet will never generate enough to keep up, your 'raids' will help you to keep up.

Quote:
Yes, you really do. I'm not saying every planet has to work in a value-based way (preferably not, in fact), but PA is a competitive game, and if you start off your argument with "well, this race can't keep up, but", then you've already lost.
Yes, but since you only require attackships, you'll not be sinking resources into defships. currently 3-400 roid planets can't keep up with value either, still their attacks hurt, cause they can focus on 1 ship-type.

Quote:
Hiding ships is currently instant, is this a new feature you're suggesting? What about if I launch (or prelaunch) my ships for a tick, can newRace still get at them then?
Was referring to ship-selling. Ships that aren't in base shouldn't be considered in the calculations. See above for basic calculation

Anyways, just trying to describe the idea a bit and using you as a sparring partner mz.

I guess I want to introduce a hit & run race. Grab what you can. Even in very tight corners you could come out ahead (maybe you are not able to recall attacks, but everyone of your ships has a 33% chance to limp out of combat rather then die? - (dc's can't just cover with 'equal value loss', they'll need to make sure defence is worth it, cause newRace is going to land anyhow!!)). Nothing is to be gained by attacking your planet, but when the defending party manages to spring a trap on you (cover your attack) they'll be feasting on your juicy cargo.