View Single Post
Unread 9 May 2006, 15:48   #34
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Possible Gal setup (maybe just one off round)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Random galaxies ALLOW these people to make CONTACT with people via irc who can get them into top alliances. Private galaxy setups make this alot harder to happen as your stuck with just people from your current alliance and their allies and never get the chance to really mix with anyone else
I qualified this on purpose, but perhaps I should have specified in the original sentence. People don't make this connection through knowing someone on IRC through a random galaxy (especially not for half a round, or 100 ticks like it is now). People make this connection through knowing someone on IRC outside the context of a random galaxy interactions.

I hold that random galaxies don't improve the likelihood of that sort of interaction significantly. The reason is that there is no implication at the beginning of the relationship that it carries weight. With a private galaxy there are a whole lot of implicit agreements and trust. This is almost completely lacking in the random galaxy context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
the whole point of randoms is to give new players the chance to mix with players of varying abilities and experience. by creating private galaxies you are taking this ability away and its doing more detriment to the game than good.
You're right. That is the whole point. What I propose is for the players of 'varying abilities and experience' to be able to choose. You'll notice that under my model you could fill your private galaxy half way up and get the other half filled with randoms.

Quote:
i like playing with people who i know, but i also enjoy meeting new players and bringing people into the game and working with them. Private galaxies would kill off any chance of new players to the game integrating themselves into the community as a whole and would lead to them quitting.
This statement is an appeal to fear. It as a statement that has become accepted as true without regard to actual fact. Can someone point me to the proof of it? Or a good explanation of why it's true?

Quote:
so we have a choice guys. do you want new blood to the game or not? if the answer is yes then this idea, imho, would be counterproductive to that goal
Emphasis mine. I want to give people the choice. So that the people who want randoms can do so, and the people who don't want them can get private galaxies.

I am sick of the first thing I hear from my galmates being Why did u exhile me??!?!?!?.

It is not my ****ing responsibility to teach these people the game. Just like no one took me under their wing and taught me the game when I started. There should be better 'newbie guides' (Goldeneye's old one is probably as useful today as it was in r3), there need to be roiding guides for each race. These need to be made every round.

It is PAteam's responsibility to see to it that this is done. If they can get community volunteers for it, that's great! But I don't want to spend the rest of my playing time explaining to fresh galmates how to play the game.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote