View Single Post
Unread 16 May 2008, 19:45   #1
Kenny

Round 26 Summary

Officially my last post, guys. It goes on and gets boring at the end, so don't expect too much from me.

Ok - Round 26 is "over", so for the purposes of this summary, assume I'm posting this two hours or so from now.

You know what I miss? I miss 1up. I miss Synthetic_Sid and I miss not having a ****ing clue who that is. But most of all, I miss decent alliances. I miss being in a decent alliance with a command team that actually lead a group of players to be the best they could be.

I started Denial because last round was boring as shit and I was frustrated at not being able to do anything to change the way things were going. I spoke to VenoX about it and he'd already discussed the possibility with eksero - all that was required was a nudge in the right direction. And anyone who knows anything about my history will know if there's one thing I've had practise in, it was setting up alliances.

From the brink of internet addiction, came Denial.

Having worked with Foxman and co before, after learning that his attempts at setting up an alliance were serious, and given that they were also a new alliance entering the game I felt it was going to be productive for us to form a strong bond with one alliance that we'd be able to work with. The logic there being "any success we acheive wont be because of NAPing the universe". Made sense at the time.

The round started really quite well for us. The AG system we were using were keeping people active and attacks were being very successful. We created an substantial early lead because of the hard work put in by VenoX and the scanners team who organised the raids on at least 8 gals per night. Nobody else even came close in terms of attacks coverage from what we could tell.

I was actually genuinely surprised at the lack of apparent competition. We were very concerned with the 75 memberlimit as we thought there'd be more people with enough members to fill the tag. Hence, we over recruited. Like NewDawn, we had about 80~ players at one point, or around 85 including scanners.

NewDawn were the forefront of our competition, as I always knew they would be. And, before I go on - BIG respect to NewDawn for their round. I know there was a lot of sh*t-talking from both sides - but understand, it was just politics. Nothing personal! I wanted to make sure that we hit NewDawn early on, because I knew that if we left it until later in the round, they would be far tougher to take down. We coordinated with NoX almost straight away, hitting NewDawn-heavy gals. Then Denial started Ptargetting NewDawn specifically. It was only when Jenova joined in the ptargetting of Denial that NoX started joining in the ptargetting of ND. But yes, there had been prior co-operation.

ToF joined in at some point as well, but by that point DenoX had already killed NeNova (I just made that up), so their combined efforts weren't enough to knock us off of top spot. At this point, I think, Kargool made the 'congratulations denial' thread. The round was over, 4 weeks early.

To hell with that. I think I was the only one in my HC team more interested in making the round interesting, and looking like a good alliance, than winning the round. I was involved in conversation with a member of Denial about our political standing with CT. Obviously, given the fiasco over the tools, they were pissed at us. So I created a new channel, for us to 'talk' in - #unitedfleets. It was here that I spoke to gm (ace guy btw) about the situation, and that we were very sorry. From this channel, we went on to 'conspire' a revenge attack on (the surprisingly innocent) Ascendancy.

If there's one thing Ascendancy can be depended on for, it's to react when provoked. They didn't disappoint! They did, however, start to play a little bit more seriously that anticipated, and I think this was due to further provocation when NoX fleetcaught one of their planets. Lolz. So the last couple of weeks weren't going to be as boring after all. Now Denial had to come up with a way of keeping Asc away from our top spot.

It does sound like a bit of a cop-out but real life got the better of me at this point. A break-up with a gf who I was living with at the time, and had been planning on moving in with kinda threw rl into turmoil and as much as I love PA, I couldn't spend my time away from studies on the internet. Just a 'for-example', things got so bad at my flat that I was attacked by my ex's best mate (who also stayed in the same flat) with a Katana sword for having my music on, the police were involved and the sword was confiscated.

And you guys thought your lives were stressful

Things calmed down a bit and I was able to return to PA for a bit, mainly to try and keep the peace in the alliance (VenoX is ok at military - he works like a bear but lacks any kind of people skills). By this point LordN had left because we hit his gal. This has been discussed in enough detail already - personally I hold no grudges as I'd have done the same - so I wont go in to this again. Meanwhile I was getting a lot of stick off of the HC team, as apparently the reason Denial was being attacked was because of my youtube vids (discuss?). What they failed to realise though was the reason that Denial was failing as an alliance was because they had the combined imaginative skills of a chimpanzee that had been raised by a socially challenged moth.

Funny moment of the round for me:

(paraphrased, as logs are on another computer)

Kenny: We need to start drawing up plans to hit Asc
Reese: Kenny, you do realise we have a kinda NAP with them, right?

Oh dear.

Denial lost because overall, we were shit. I "officially" quit when I realised that nothing I could do would make us 'un-shit', because by that point the rest of the HC team were so far up their own arses that they felt they could actually pin all the alliance failings on me, and not take responsibility for their own failings.

Some final points:

- Asc are the best group of players going. They don't always play hard, but if this round proves anything it's that a good alliance will always beat a bad one.

- 1up is not coming back

- NewDawn have some of the best 'spirit' I've ever seen. To come back from the demolishing we gave them early on was really quite incredible. Good going, guys.

- NoX are utterly useless. I wanted to hit them weeks ago, even before Game approached me. Sun_Tzu can confirm that I was looking into ways to punish them for a) being so rubbish and eventually b) being responsible for the arbiter hacks. Also, NoX, we handed you targets half the time. The only reason you didn't fall apart mid-round was because you had Denial feeding you targets when your HC couldn't be bothered looking for them. Bet they didn't tell you that, eh?

- Mystic is a good player, but completely without function in an HC team.

- eksero is a great DC, but putting my hand on heart - Rock's defense was better than Denial's, seven fold. Given the resources we had available, that's inexcuseable.

- It'd get personal if I started bitching about Reese, so I wont.

- VenoX. So sad. Genuinely considered him a friend but became so caught up in Planetarion he actually contemplated dropping out of university so he could play a game. We argued a lot this round and I don't think that friendship will continue. He's a nice guy, but narrow-minded to be successful in Planetarion.

- I made a few mistakes this round, and I wont deny any of them (last post etc). All I'll say is "don't believe everything you hear on the internet".

Thanks for the memories, Planetarion; hopefully I'll finally be able to confine it to just that.