View Single Post
Unread 29 Jan 2008, 19:04   #12
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What is a Liberal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
A centrist, which i think i am probably (reasonably social liberal, quite economically conservative given my field, generally indifferent to the power and scope of government provided it doesnt clash with the above), would approach these issues with some even-handedness. For example, a "social conservative" would never advocate abortion, and critique a social liberal for defying/denying the rights of the unborn child. A centrist would suggest that unnecessary abortion should be (at best*) advocated against or (at worst) forbidden, with a definition of "necessary" including the health of the mother (if it endangers the mother, abortion is an option), whether the child is a spawn of rape (the denial of the female's basic human right to chose with whom to reproduce), and the prohibition on late term abortion (eg, the third trimester, by which point either of the above should have become apparent) or something along those lines. Thus, a centrist would, in most instances, be against abortion - particularly if it will soon be summer and that being pregnant doesnt do well for a figure in a bikini on Bondi or some other "useless" reason - however, is not completely against the notion of killing an unborn child. Similarly, no Centrist would have any objection to the use of any contraceptives.
You seem to be labouring under the belief that there are only three types of people (liberals, conservatives and centrists) and that they all believe the same things.

Some liberals are against abortion.
Some centrists are completely for or completely against abortion.
Some conservatives are in favour of abortion.

Also, PARAGRAPHS. Personally I hate seeing more than 200 words in a single block of text

Quote:
I'm not quite sure about that. I think liberalism in the terms of government power and influence is more about the limitiation of government control on the individual so that they are free to persue their own desires (ie, liberalism). Whilst its true, leftist tendencies support big government, that is a different thing to liberalism. I think the Whig party in Britain before the American Revolution espoused the principles of liberalism wrt government, ideas which i think Furball expressed above.
I'll emphasise again for dda's benefit:

Quote:
I think liberalism in the terms of government power and influence is more about the limitiation of government control on the individual so that they are free to persue their own desires (ie, liberalism). Whilst its true, leftist tendencies support big government, that is a different thing to liberalism.

This is the crux of the American 'liberal' issue.

Quote:
I think i differ to most americans (and europeans) insofar as dont have any problem at all with government compulsion
Oh no. Both countries have plenty of people who believe wholeheartedly in the principle that "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear". Of course, this is total bullshit.