View Single Post
Unread 8 May 2009, 04:22   #10
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: A few suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
so where do those players you exile out go? Do they go to c200, and then if they log back in tick 73 and fill up the 'holes' created ticks 36-72, what then? What about galaxies where inactives are the 'norm' rather than the 'exception'

It's hard work when you have galaxy members you feel less active than you. When you see your roids lost because they don't send defence, or when you attack and gain roids to help the galaxy grow and they don't, it's discouraging. If there's only a few people in your galaxy, you want to exile those people. If you are in a galaxy that has lots of those people, you want to exile (or disband the galaxy).
What happens to those people that are exiled / left in the inactive galaxy?

Speaking as the last surviving member of the mentor team in 2004, when we got 5-6 people together to mentor and were an absolute failure, before moving into the support team, it's hard to get people together to want to help out and mentor, especially arranging coverage from volunteers. Allowing players to access other players planet details would be a huge trust issue; though less so if mentors were only assigned to specific planets. Adding in such settings obviously takes time, and it's much easier (though more inconvenient) to work with planets by getting them to paste / describe their issues and talk them through.
I still don't know that we'd
a) get enough people willing to spend the time to talk (or do more than the current support team do), or
b) have any sort of direction or aim beyond "helping players", or
c) have enough infrastructure coded and in place to successfully support b) and/or potentially reduce the issue of a)

I'm not sure about this whole ground troops thing. Whilst some players do want new features, others just want a game they can understand and play easily. I'd only be willing to add something like ground troops in if it were optional and not compulsory, for that reason. It's the same reason I'd also want some sort of auto option for any micromanagement added.

Covered at least some of this in my blog (quoted below).
I assume you mean viewable /visable by "viable". I disagree with eta bonuses; I far prefer asteroid cap changes and xp bonuses (the XP one obviously feeding off the asteroid cap bonus). I'm not so sure about the NAP system, but it could come into effect with a similar startup/cooldown period, perhaps to complement a "friendly fire" feature.

p.s.
these should all really be in different threads
And again its highly discouraging for the less active or new players to see every decent player to leave the galaxy, simply because they feel to be better than the rest. The whole idea of random gals dies when u let people disband their galaxies or jump over till they find friends/friendly gal.

Bring back private gals then?

People are really jumping over to satisfy their allinace wishes, or simply cause they self are lame loosers who cant stand up for anyone else than themselfs (and probably not that either.)

I was more like thinking of setting a referal code and whom has matching referals can get access to some basic details of the friend playing. ie. u do have a friend/referal list and clicking one of their names/coords, opens up the developement procress, mine/fleet ratio, fleet, + whats ever nessesary details to mentor. And I am only speaking of mentoring your friends or people u have invited to the game. Not some public mentor team.

Yeah I can speak from experience that how ever sucky the game is, when its slow and simple enough someone will come to it (**********.) For everyone that seeks for some action its plain stupid and sucky tho. How ever automating some basic features u dont fancy handling wouldnt be a bad idea at all.