View Single Post
Unread 5 Mar 2006, 03:41   #49
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Political Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor
I agree with your hip hop culture remark. Like any young person growing up, they will look to emulate their idols. Unfortunately the hip hop culture has a violent interpretation as to what it means to be a "man".
I don't blame hiphop culture, not at all. Maybe I should have switched the with
Reasons?
Hiphop culture has been a alternate outlet for the rage that many youngsters feel. They can rap about their problems, they can get out their creativity and anger with graffiti, they can get out their energy and skills with breakdance. Hiphop was (and still is, if you see past the bling) a culture that promotes battling with SKILLS, not guns. Ie you beat a guy with a better piece, a cooler verse or a tigther headspin. The bragging rights in graffiti for example, is not who beat up most people but who dared go into the most hardcore yard.

Of course there are rappers that are shite and promote gangrelated issues, but it's only the last few years the shit ones have become the popular ones. The old gangsterrappers did not glorify bling, rims and guns in the same way as the new ones. But that's only 5% of the hiphopculture, and the most recent addition.
You can't judge punk by Green Day. You can't judge rock by U2. And you cant judge hiphop by 50 cent!

Quote:
The first is that alot of them never learned how to be a man. Or to put it in other terms, never had a stable male role model.

Alot of the bangers ive come across have 1 thing in common. No known father. So, because of the invisiblity of these "men" who knocked up their moms, the male hip hop culture is being taught to be men, by women until their teens, then by the street. I think any society that has a proportianal amount of women who have 5 children by 4 different men is in for trouble as the family nexus has been shattered. Once these man boys are introduced to the street, they meet many others who are just as confused as they are as to what it takes to be a man, so they have come up with their own morality and a new social contract.
This might just be very true in many cases. But again, it's a too gross and simplistic statement to be THE truth. The most violent person I know had no such thing as a "bad" family, by any standards. His parents loved him and let him go his own way, his childhood was a enjoyabale time full of laugther and so on. But the rage and despair he got when he started to grow up manifested in a great anger instead of the more common depression. I don't really belive in a family nexus, or the illusion that the best family is the white core-family. Of course it's better to have your mom and dad, but I think that for example myself turned out pretty well, even if my father has been absent for important periods and my mother is a ex hippie.

Quote:
This then blends into my second reason for lack of value placed on human life and that is power. Power, to a large extent is why we as humans have killed, raped and maimed since we cralled up on a beach eons ago.

Since the education level of your average gangbanger is disgusting, the power/control/money available to them by normal means (rising to the top of a corperate ladder, etc) Is also nil. But on the streets they can have power based on what they are willing to do to get it.

Add the 2 of these to the easy access to hand guns and you have a volitile mixture.
Power and it's manifestations (Ie religion, money, the state and so on) is quite correctly why we kill eachother. But it's not just about education. It's that if you do, and go the "hard" way of a normal life, you will still not get as high as "the man". It's racism and ultimately class that divides people up in categories, and if you come from the lowest levels you got a chance in a billion. Of course education is important, but look upon our values! Even if we are taught that everybody is equal, we can see that they are not. The things that matter is a BMW or a huge house, not love or equality. It's our society, our norms, that makes people into criminals. You can't just look at the individual level, or at a small part of a culture. Just education wont change anything, as just guncontroll wont either.

To put it bluntly, as long as there is property there will be winners and losers, and thus there will be people who dont accept the fact that they are born losers.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."

Last edited by Snurx; 5 Mar 2006 at 03:47.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote