View Single Post
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 13:43   #35
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Poland's fairly brilliant EU negotiating strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
My point was merely that trying to pretend that the European Union project generally isn't founded on a basis of shared history, culture, (and a geography obviously) etc is utterly naive.
I disagree the EU treaties that exist don't seem to support a predominant 'cultural' theme. That said its utter lunacy and a complete bastardisation of history to say Turkey wasn't as involved in 'european' history from the time of the romans infact. If you take into consideration things like the Byzantine/eastern roman empire they've always been 'involved' in what goes on in europe. They've done far more than the likes of latvia.

Quote:
A fundamental pre-requisite of any movement towards more just international politics would be the abolition of any "special clubs", not simply increasing the membership of the club by the inclusion of Turkey or whichever specific countries are on your love list. As Billy Bragg has put it;
"Freedom is merely privilege extended Unless enjoyed by one and all"

Not on my love list, its their sense of self. The turks see themselves as European why would i wish to challenge their sense of self? If they want to join the EU let them. French Guiana is 'european' in south america. If Morocco sees itself as European they should be allowed to join, if algerian history had been different it isn't inconceivable that they might want to join, and both countries after all have shared history with europe.

I'm neither seeking to force other nations to join nor to stay away. Its up to them.