View Single Post
Unread 12 Jul 2006, 03:43   #19
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Working with a sex offender, could you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
That's a little different in that they probably didn't want that to happen. Mistakes and accidents happen, indeed we've all done things that were a bit foolish I imagine. In general, I don't see the point of imprisoning someone for killing someone in a car accident and even if they were drink driving or speeding I certainly wouldn't support a very harsh punishment (presuming it was a first offence) - I'm presuming 90% of people would have their conscience to haunt them.
regardless of what they wanted to happen it was the way they acted that they were punished for

Quote:
Rape (in the sense I am talking about it - violent rape of a stranger) is a little different and I think we've got to presume there's some sort of "problem" with a person who has done such a thing. Even in the cases of fairly violent rape I doubt someone receives a life sentence in the sense they die in prison - afaik that only happens with the worst categories of prisoners and where the Home Secretary basically says "Fk you if you think I'm being known as the guy who let out Myra Hindley" or whatever. In either case, it would seem a little naive to presume that we don't let people out of prison without them being "cured" somehow.
The home secretary can no longer give life tarrifs and killing a child is one of the offences listed for it to be applied, this is going round in circles ill just leave it at saying applying the worst crimes across the board is idiotic and everything is case dependant, as a rule of thumb i wouldn't be *stay awake at night concerned* if a sex offender did move in next door as the stats wouldn't support it being the type of person you're on about.

Quote:
The % of people reoffending after leaving prison seems to vary wildly from study to study but at least 5% within three years seems credible based on the US figures. Now 95% not reoffending (or at least, not re-committing a sex crime and/or getting caught) seems pretty good but I guess it depends on how we view it. If someone said there was a 5% chance the plane you were about to get on would explode you might consider waiting for the next one.
you can't really compare things like that in percentages its almost meaningless, tangential to the topic but i remember reading a forecast along the lines of one major planecrash somewhere in the world every 1-2weeks in 20 years time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
However, if i don't get involved in something like this then i'm just a lazy good for nothing gobshite who doesn't deserve to air an opinion.

What a dilema
Just because we're all lazy gobshites doesn't mean we shouldn't air our opinions