Thread: dyslexia
View Single Post
Unread 25 Aug 2006, 15:36   #43
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: dyslexia

Marv, as suggested, see your uni senco and they will be able to do certain tests etc.
dyslexia and dispraxia are very real, but unfortunetly, for most people, its not fully understood.
Indeed, I come across profesisonals every day that simply do not understand exactly what it is, and how to deal with it.

For instance, it is widley assumed it comes down to simply reading, but this is widely incorrect. You will find high incidences of individuals having difficulties dressing themslves.
Whilst sight IS tested, its not genrally the sight that is being tested, but dominant eye/hand, and again, these will offer differ in Dyslexic children.

There are exercises you can do, though I believe its not been proved they can aid an improvement, mentally I personally believe they can. Its all based on cross over activites that use both sides of the brain, to strengthen the link between both left and right sides.

Whilst I admit I dont have any experience working with adults of which dyslexia and dyspraxia is an issue, i ahve worked with children with the same condition for 10 years now, both in supporting the children concerned, and testing all children who are suspected of having any learning issues.

Feel free to dop me a pm, or you can find me in #poker
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote