View Single Post
Unread 27 Dec 2005, 16:31   #48
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: ITT you say things that you know will get you neg repped

[off topic]'sgt. pepper' 'revolver' and 'abbey road' are all great listens; their early stuff was shit pop though. Cream was pretty much all 60's, and they were great.

[on topic]Is it just me or are women not funny?

I've never read a book by a woman that I thought was particularly funny. Nor a column. Or (watched) a movie, or TV show (to my knowledge). Yet I read a lot of books and columns and I see a lot of movies and tv shows. Now, it could be that the alpha male types running all of these industries are pushing out all the brilliant female humor. But I also watch a lot of standup, and there are plenty of women doing that. And I almost never think any of them is funny*,**,***.

This is entirely in keeping with the females I've met. Not that funny. Go-go gadget Polite Laugh! I can see it as possible that women are socialized to avoid being 'jokey', but how do you socialize a group of people to avoid telling good jokes? Seems odd.

*And female comedians are almost universally lesbians, which may or may not relate to my point.

** A couple of years ago I laughed at a female comedian's joke (the fact that this stands out to me is part of my point). In fairness I will present the joke in it's entirety here:
"So a while back I finally moved out of my parent's house. Did you all realize that stuff is really ****ing expensive? I needed to buy car tires, and I expect them to be maybe $5, $10 apiece, and they turn out to be ten times that much. It wasn't long before I was calling m,y dad, begging for help. [whiny voice] 'Dad, everything is so expensive, I need help!' [dad voice]'Welcome the real world, dear.' No help there. A few months later, I called him again. 'Hey dad. It's been hard, but I've been able to make ends meet. Had to get a second job though.' 'That's great, dear.' 'As a stripper.' 'WHAT?' 'Welcome the real world, dad'"

***After I decided that I wanted the above two footnotes, I put down the *,**. Then I decided that I wanted them in a different order (I hadn't written out either of them yet), so I deleted the *,** and put down *,** instead.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote