View Single Post
Unread 26 Aug 2007, 19:36   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The BBC strikes out against stupid conceptions of property

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
I'm not really that concerned about property right theories because as far as I'm concerned it's pretty fundamental for humans to want to own something and I think others should respect that natural trait even if they don't agree with it.
But ownership isn't a straight-forward concept. Housing provides the example where someone might refer to a house as theirs, even if :
- they were a tenant and didn't own the property but did have legal right to be there
- they were a leaseholder and therefore owned a lease on a flat belonging to a freeholder who owned the land / externals of the building
- they were a freeholder in a house but had mortgages secured against the property so the deeds were actually in the hands of a third party.

And each one of these is different in terms of how it would be treated in some sort of dispute.

In the case of wireless internet access no-one can really "steal" it in the sense of permanently depriving you of it, but at the same time if someone was throttling your connection to the point where you couldn't use it at all then clearly you are being cheated/defrauded in the wider sense.

Personally what you are talking about sounds much more like a demand for "right to control use or maintain monopoly on use". Which is entirely reasonable but not quite the same thing as ownership imo. You can own land but rights of way mean may be able to walk through your land, for instance. Conversely, if you're a non-owner but have some sort of lease/tenancy then the law will (with some exceptions) enforce your right to decide who is allowed to come in. If your landlord (i.e. the owner) tries to force his way in without due cause (or prior notice/process being followed) then you could probably have him arrested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokken
I don't see how taking a bike from my back garden or taking internet from it are in the real world actually all that different
One deprives you of a physical object (presumably permanently, unless they were going to return the bike - in which case not really theft) and the other is probably an inconvenience for a given period?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote