View Single Post
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 13:25   #27
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cricket, Aussies or Poms ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy
Don't get me wrong, thorpe has been one of our best batsmen for a long time, I just think with all his injury problems and with the fact that he is retiring from internationals after the ashes it is time too give a young player a go. Evreyone doubted Pietersen before the winter tour and people doubted if he could stand the pressure of playing against the australians but he has proved the doubters wrong. I can't think of much more he can do, and I know if I was a selector I would have his name first on the list.
As has been said before, one day and test matches are two completely different games. By saying that he's proved his doubters wrong is false but i have no doubt that he'll get his chance to prove them wrong over the course of the Test series. Pietersen's style of play is more suited to the short matches and is often let down in the longer version by his temperament.

The County Championship stats would side with Pietersen, but Thorpe was playing against Bangladesh and missed 2 or 3 games. He got a 60 and a 40 not out against Bangladesh, had a reasonable tour of South Africa over the winter and has done the business against Australia in the past.
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote