View Single Post
Unread 16 May 2006, 14:33   #28
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Gotta love lawyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
consider the source of your information.
Journalists are hardly going to say they are making baseless claims are they?
neither are lawyers - the difference is lawyers are regulated as yahwe says.
the press print anything which sells, regardless of its accuracy which is why they get sued for libel and slander a lot.
Newspapers are regulated too. I didnt comment just because of the initial article linked or because of the two articles which i quoted but because of 7 or 8 articles i read about the subject (admittedly from the same source).

But if you read those articles/letters, you will see that The Times is citing several names/companies and that means they are sticking their neck out quite a lot. Either they are now in very deep sh*t - or they made sure those allegations arent completely unfounded.

Check for example the bottom paragraph of this letter:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...148775,00.html

They certainly do play on the emotional side with this (for example the 7 pound compensation case might be badly chosen and the relation of lawyer fees vs. coal miner compensation isnt as bad as they make it sound), but in general they do seem to have a point here. I fully assume a bunch of lawyers had way more saying in implementing this compensation and fee scheme then coal miners.

In germany courts ruled that mass-processings of similar cases do NOT allow you to charge the same "Brago" fees you could charge for each individual case because in the past lawyers did use that to "exploit" the legal fee system. Fees dropped for individual cases from something like 1300€ down to 65€-150€ AFAIR.

Its not a "newspaper against all lawyers" anyway - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...142351,00.html

I dont see why people make such a big fuss about denying that many lawyers are in it for the money. From my experience most of IT students are in it because of the money and i heard that it is the same for law. I personally know more then one lawyer who admitted in private that he is in it for the money - why the irrational claim that once they finish their studying and get a degree they mostly want to make the world a better place and do pro bono work
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote