Thread: Touch-typing
View Single Post
Unread 5 May 2007, 11:17   #1
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Touch-typing

When I type I don't think about what I'm doing. I either look at the keyboard for the first letter, or perhaps I just know where it is, and then I continue typing without looking down. I can invariable copy reasonably long lengths of text from a paper source onto the computer with ease. Sometimes I get the alignment wrong, or see an incorrect letter appear on the screen, but I soon correct that.

I have no visual map of the keys. I seem to use my kinetic memory for that. I couldn't tell you where the R key is on the keyboard, but when I'm in the middle of word with R in it I reach the key without a problem.

That is, I've been using that approach until recently. Because I have a masochistic desire to use baroque Unix programs that use a stupid amount of keyboard short-cuts for pretty-much everything I now need to know where the R key is, amongst others, from nowhere. Therefore, I've been learning to touch-type.

I can touch-type now, but quite slowly. If I'm typing in a few things in I'll touch-type. But If I've a large amount of text I need to enter I fall back onto my older, faster kinetic approach out of frustration.

Who out of you touch-type? Have you been in a similar situation where you've had to relearn how to type? It's a cocking joke to be honest.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote