Thread: My parents
View Single Post
Unread 23 Oct 2006, 12:18   #24
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: My parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
I disagree, you are your parents burden, they have chosen for that, not the other way around
You can't treat your kids in a certain way only to expect something for yourself out of it.
I didn't say that. I said you should treat others how you'd like to be treated yourself. Perhaps my example confused things. When you walk down the street I guess you'd prefer not to be punched in the face. With that in mind, you shouldn't punch others in the face when they walk down the street. So if you'd like to be helped when you need help, you should also help others when they need help. This perpetuate the kind of world you'd like to live in.

I didn't say that you should return everything they've given you in full. It was their choice to do so. But their choice was also a good deed. And I believe you should repay that. Not because you 'have to', but because then good deeds perpetuate, as I indicated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
What do you mean, everyone is expected to know the law
You sound like it's a bad thing to actually have some knowledge about your rights

If you arn't sure about something then the law is an easy reference of society's moral standards.
The original poster was asking whether he 'owed' his parents. The relationship between you and the ones who gave you life is a very personal one, perhaps the most personal. So, with this in mind, assessing whether you 'owe' your parents something should also be a personal decision. The law, reinforcing societal norms, is often a excellent source of reference, but in this case you have something stronger than that: a family bond. This is not to say you 'owe' them something--if they've been complete arseholes to you then there's a good argument that you should return the favour--but that decision lies with your wealth of personal experience and your own morals, not with a parliamentarian or judge who does not know all the ins and outs of your life.

I thought I put is more succinctly the first time.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote