Thread: Laptop Problems
View Single Post
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 21:15   #18
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Laptop Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
So for no reason at all, i turned on my laptop and it appears my display is ****ed. Imagine the screen is made up of four quarters, divided by vertical stripes. Well, the far left quarter is greyed out - as if the lighting is on at half power. gr8!

I've checked the drivers, etc, but its clearly a hardware issue - i restarted and went into the set up screen, and you can clearly see the same quarter of it is greyed out too.
I had a similar problem with my laptop after one particularly bumpy bus ride. Sent it off under warranty repair.
Turns out the cable that connects to the lcd inside the monitor housing had came loose on one end, and that was the cause of it.

Its not something i recommend repairing yourself, given its the monitor of a laptop we're talking about here but its reasonable simply to fix if the cause is the same for you.

Otherwise, the fix would be for them to replace the entire lcd and associated components and that costs a wee bit.\

Quote:
2. Where is good to buy a new laptop? And by good, i mean reliable/cheap. I dont game, and i dont really use my machine for anything other than downloading, playing music, watching films and being a butte on IRC.
dabs, ebuyer perhaps, etc.

Quote:
3. How far have prices dropped / has technology marched on in the last 2 years? Am i naive in thinking my mid-range laptop of 2 years ago may be a low-range laptop of today?
Its moved on quite a bit, and no you are not naive to be thinking that - but it wont be as bad as low-end but its close to it.
You should find laptops around the approximate spec below for ~300-400 max