View Single Post
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 15:15   #36
sigrid
hated dead or alive

sigrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Would be being born blind and deaf be that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Not necessarily. Let's imagine the blind/deaf boy was walking around and hurt himself (stepped on something / bumped into it). Are you saying that it's beyhond imagination that he could think "Damn, I really wish there was someway I could prevent that from happening"?

Similarly, if I experience pain it's not like I have to read about some guy who didn't feel pain to wonder "I wish this wasn't happening".

I like to think I am equal, and I wish to be treated equally. I also think it's nice if people choose to help me out from time to time. You're entire point is that charity is an automatic "bad thing". I don't believe so. People helping each other out is one of the finest things human beings can do.

You don't have to be "special" to receive aid, as I mention. One of my relatives wife died a few years ago, and his neighbours helped him out for a while, cooking him dinners a few times of his week, popping into check he was OK, etc. These were acts of charity, yet wasn't because he was "unequal" or unable to function - it was just a nice thing to do and about people looking out for each other.

I'm sorry if no-one has tried to help you your entire life, but that's no reason to be angry when other people get help from others.

I think we may have the same opnion. Helping ou others who are in a shitty situation to me is not charity tho, its called helping:P This post was about a folder or leaflet, so obviously something organised bu some institute to raise money for a large group, using a severe case of the goup they try to get money for as tearjerker. That is quite different from helping out a neighbour.

Charity is not a bad thing at all and there are many ppl who desperately need it, but also those who in my eyes DONT, and handicapped ppl belong to the latter group imo. Charity should be used to stop poverty, illness and whatever that is NOT needed, like ppl dying of measles, or ppl starving to death because their fking government fights a civil war. Handicapped ppl will always be there, they are born in all layers of society and nottin can really prevent it, like getting kids who need glasses, have red hair or have a handicap that we qualify more as a handicap.
sigrid is offline   Reply With Quote