Thread: Job-Hunting
View Single Post
Unread 4 Jul 2006, 17:00   #4
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Job-Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
So I suppose my question is, what was your first 'proper' job and how did you get it and how did you get the necessary experiance?

Finished Uni & applied for a jobs at the passport office;

Basic Examiner - Got an interview but did not pass it
AA full time - Got an interview, passed it, was not offered a job
AA part time - Got an interview, passed it, got offered a job

Now that might comment on my interview skill (ie shit) but i just dunno.

Anyways since then i have applied for other jobs within the passport office;

Advanced Examiner - Didn't get an interview (even though i'd already sat and passed the Advanced Examiner training and had worked their for a year doing my AA)

Then a year later;

Advanced Examiner - Got an interview, passed it but didn't get a job, was placed on a merit list.

I kinda pushed on this one and ended up getting a 2-10pm job (instead of a dayshift job).

Then a year later;

Team Leader - Got an interview and passed it (after having deputised full time as a Team Leader for the previous 4 1/2 months).

It was also my experience that temp jobs tend to want you to have 6 months office experience.

Anyways the point i'm trying to make is that in my experience it's quite difficult to get anywhere. Your degree is just a bit of paper that nobody really seems to care much about in the real world (unless the degree is essential for the job you're to do). The degree is a bonus but people want "real life skills" rather than an educated person. Again that's just my experience and addmittidly i've not been trying for graduate level jobs so *shrug*. I got where i am today (ohh the heady heady heights) by going into a company at the lowest possible grade and working my way up exceptionally fast by being generally brilliant. You might have to do the same thing.