View Single Post
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 23:18   #107
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Best Sci-Fi Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rop1964
5)starwars 3
Star Wars 3, are you mad!

I'm not sure if you mean Revenge of the Sith or Return of the jedi but either way neither is great. The prequel trilogy is weak in comparison to the original trilogy so none of those can be considered great. And the original trilogy is let down by Jedi really, its the weakest of the movies and is far from the quality level of Empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Apparently A.I. is better the second-time you watch it. But I'm not taking that chance. I wonder if the director's cut is just the first 60% of the film and then nothing.
I personally think A.I gets alot of unnecessary flack. Spielberg did two sci-fi movies close together in A,I and Minority Report and both had half a fantastic Sci-fi movie in them but was let down by Spielberg's inability to end a movie. He often seems to take the view of "Why end a movie once when you can end it twice". In A,I's case there was really 3 'endings' in the movie and the natural end really was after the second one and we didnt need the "happy ending" with the aliens/robots and in Minority Report the natural ending was the 'downer' where we find out Tom Cruise had done it and it didnt need the 'happy ending' tacked on

Quote:
Serenity Stuff
I think it really depends what group your asking. If you ask normal film goers whats the best sci-fi movie serenity probally wont register. While it does a good job of being a stand alone movie, certainly a better job than alot of movies from TV shows has done, it is a movie based on a tv show so has the problem these type of movies has in having to explain things but not being able to really explain things 'correctly' without annoying your core auidenece. As such a normal viewer simply cant get really invested in the charachters.

However when the people being asked about the best sci-fi films are Sci-fi fans I think it will stand the test of time as these people will have mostly seen the TV show which helps you emotionally connect and as such makes its qualities alot more prominate.

I know personally its near the top of my list as a sci-fi fan as both serenity and firefly do a great job of taking alot of the good things about sci-fi, weeds out alot of the parts that drag others down and throws in the quality of writing and dialog that youd expect in a good quality drama

Quote:
Fav Scifi movies?
Some people have mentioned Starship Troopers and I have to say Its a movie I really like. However its a movie ive never really felt stands up as a good sci-fi movie as such, it plays alot more like a Political/Military Satire imho. Donnie Darko is another thats often labeled a Sci-fi movie and is a movie I really like but when you start looking at it as an out and out Sci-fi movie its not that good

I also enjoyed the X-Files movie and it would be fairly high on my list but like Serenity its a movie that somewhat requires you to have seen the series. Same thing also for the Star Trek Movies (Some of which are excellent, but others are dismal) so i'll ignore them too.

This probably leaves Gattaca and 12 Monkeys at the top of my list. I'm sure Blade Runner would be up there but its one of those movies I want to see but for whatever reason haven't ever got round to it (The 10 million different cuts probably hasnt helped me get round to seeing it).

The Matrix would have also probably been up there but I get the same reaction when I think about the movie due to the sequels as I do every week when I watch Lost because like Lost Matrix took what was a great start and decided to forget everything that made it great just so they can make more money by making more thus damaging the overall product
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote