View Single Post
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 02:03   #45
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: Jesus rejected for Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
No one said they hated religion.

The arguments so far fall into the following broad concepts:

1) Christmas wasn't christian to begin with so the de-christianisation of christmas is no bad thing

2) It's wrong to take advantage of the poor and those in a bad situation merely to advertise your religious beliefs.

3) Travler has absurd religious beliefs which include believing that god answers his prayers when ever something goes write but when something goes wrong it has nothing to with god

4) Travler annoys people by ignoring their valid counter arguments and just spamming the same lies and rubbish.

- I also fail to see why you always have to step into a debate if it mentions christianity and start supporting the 'christian side' even when it is so obviously wrong
'Christmas' is plainly a Christian festival. It's really quite silly to claim otherwise. Christmas did, of course, supercede an ealier pagan festival (how rude) but these things happen. Yorkshire locals were once Danish. My mother was born with a different surname. There was once a supermarket called Safeway but it is now part of a chain called Morrisons. In these things I have just had to let go of the past.
I'm sure there are some Christians willfully taking advantage of the needy in order to evanglise coldly, hypocritically and nastily, without any sincere desire to help. Still, these are a minority, who are not behaving as Christians should and often do, and they're being a damn sight more helpful than if they were sitting at home philosophising on the death of God or playing Risk online or something.
Instead of ridiculing Travler, perhaps we all could dedicate some time to helping the disadvantaged. We should have a Good Deeds thread, sarcasm-free, a safe place in which to admit that we're not all cold, yellowing nerds who spend far too much time in dark rooms, but rather nice people who help old ladies across busy roads.
I get involved because I don't like the smug, officious and misinformed attitudes that are always aired in these kinds of discussions. It's perfectly fine to disagree, it's great to hold opinions vehemently, but I get riled by the Dawkins-esque arrogance of it all. Admittedly, a lot of the religious are equally as foolish and self-righteous in these things and it's terribly hard to resist giving them big fat slaps such as 'Prof' Dawkins so richly deserves, but the world would be a friendlier place if we resisted the temptation, wouldn't it?

Furball: I'm sorry, I just hate him.

Last edited by Boogster; 20 Nov 2006 at 02:15.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote