View Single Post
Unread 9 Apr 2008, 13:10   #6
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Tibet and the Olympics

As ASG said, it's not about boycotting the games but raising Tibet's profile and attempting to mitigate China's suppression, and threats are quite useful for that.

I'm not sure if it'll work though because the Chinese government may be able to rile their population into ardent nationalism, using their arguments about China's special place in history, their unique culture, Western ignorance and now their claims that the Tibetans are ungrateful. Besides, democracy never graced China, so it's unlikely the theory of self-determination ever took hold there, and its certainly not likely to take hold in the Communist party.

I'm unsure if China will be able to ignore foreign opinion and carry on regardless or not. If China's economic and perhaps military power permits then probably, in the same way the US can ignore global opinion at the moment.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote