Thread: British Rap
View Single Post
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 09:08   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: look sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubass2
UK Hip-Hop is a thriving and exciting genre in it's own right, you're making a sweeping statement based on something you just saw on a Sunday afternoon TV show.

There's a rich seam of music that exsists just below the veneer you base this particular opinion on and I don't mean that it's 'underground' or 'oh so alternative'. Act's like Roll Deep and consequently Dizzee Rascal have been intrumental in giving birth to sub-genre's like 'Grime' over the last few years for example. More recently guys like Kano and everything else that goes with whatever mildly amusing genre name someone will no doubt cook up have 'blown up', (as the highly talented (ok I mean he needs shooting again) Tim Westwood would say).

I won't mention The Streets and the UK garage scene tying into the same umbrella of MCing and 'Rap' as you call it for fear of the shitstorm that follows any mention of Skinners music these days. (I happen to like it but then I like everyting)

The scally scousers we saw on TV earlier were amusing but by no means a good representation of everything that goes on and has been going on for a very long time.

coughgoldlielookinchaincough
it's funny you should mention a couple of them, cause as it is being portrayed in oz at the moment, acts like Dizzee Rascal & The Streets are the face of what we consider british hip-hop. Whether people here would agree to that tag or not I don't know, but I personally like their styles and think is a positive direction to head and the UK artists are nothing like the Americans at all.

We are undergoing a simular transformation ourselves, many Australian Rap & Hip-Hop artists have broken out of the stigma of immitating the American artists, and have forged a distinctive style for themselves. Examples of these would be Hilltop Hoods, Downsyde, Butterfingers and The Herd.