View Single Post
Unread 14 May 2007, 23:48   #5
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: 'Base interest rate' and capitalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
You do realise we don't have an anarcho-capitalist system, right?
No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
What are you asking? Central banks generally do various things, like controlling the money supply and bailing out other banks if they get in trouble in a way which is going to damage the economy. Obviously there wouldnt be a government mandated central bank if you had anarchy, but there could still be a de facto bank which acted as the centre.

I wasn't aware central banks had any kind of duty to bail out private institutions , surely something like Enron or WorldCom were as detrimental to the economy as say an insolvent bank (and bearings wasn't bailed out). Basically i don't see the purpose of central banks, if you want 'currency' to be controlled by states they make sense, but in the absence of that i don't see why every bank shouldn't issue its own currency.

edit having read that i disagree with the notion of a 'discount window' on general principles