View Single Post
Unread 13 Dec 2005, 13:00   #8
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Stanley "Tookie" Williams (hey dda!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
Check the last paragraph of this article about his previous clemency plea in 2002 here http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...11/BA91326.DTL

Williams didnt confess the crimes he was found guilty for and therefore also didnt regret them.

If you believe his trial and his conviction where fair and that he actually did murder those people - how can you grant clemency to somebody who murdered several people and doesnt admit it nor ever regrets it? Can you really grant clemency to a multiple murder who doesnt regret what he has done?

It is a whole different story if you think he wasnt guilty of the crimes and actually was innocent in which case the US just had the ultimate failure of their justice system.

To me the decision mostly depends if you believe he was guilty of the crimes he was convicted for or not. I personally cant judge that since i havent studied the case, but since after his conviction and many appeals and throughout 25 years none of his lawyers nor himself could convince different judges and juries - i guess it is more likely that he is guilty than innocent.

A tough decision but i can fully understand Schwarzenegger - people seem to forget too quickly the dead people and their relatives over a bunch of written books.
well, you can also question wether or not the death penalty itself is such a great idea or if it isnt enough to throw someone into jail for most of his live.
Either you decide that killing people is bad and you dont do it or you dont. It really doesnt make much of a difference if we talk about a single person or a whole society.