View Single Post
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 20:03   #16
Mitc
NASA Health & Safety

Mitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to behold
Re: [welsh question]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy
That word doesn't exist. I can speak Welsh. I also have a Welsh to English dictionary which says:

Garage, n, modurdy, garai, modurfa

Also, my grandparents speak Welsh as their first language, and they assure me that to was illegal to speak Welsh.

edit: Isn't a polyglot somebody who is multi-lingual?

To respond,

1) Funny that the Welsh dept of Lampeter Uni feel the word does exist. The plural is Garejys.

2) My grandmother didn't learn English until she was taught it at school FFS! She was born in 1912, so that puts her in the time period YOU claim the language was illegal. In addition she told me that English was never spoken by anybody in the village she grew up in. It was a legal requirement that Welsh children learn English, that doesn't make Welsh illegal as a spoken language.

3) You're right. I meant monoglot.

Isn't it great that the Welsh are so passionate about their language we're prepared to argue about the spelling of a word?