View Single Post
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 20:44   #33
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: So if you had to choose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Then you should either vote for lower taxes or get a better job. There's no reason why you should be exempt from paying for public services just because you dont earn much money.
i'm not going to argue whether there is a moral reason, but what about pure pragmatics? there is some minimum amount of money needed a person needs to live on. and i'd hazard that the cost to society from someone pushed below this amount by taxes (broken windows + cash registers + missing money) is greater than the amount of money you would lose by just not taxing him in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Well, I oppose all taxation on principle. But assuming that we have to have something, an income tax supplemented with inheritence and corporate taxes seems like the best option. You couldnt manage with a sales tax alone because it would have to be fairly high which just creates black markets, and a wealth tax is a horrible idea since most people dont hold the majority of their capital in the form of liquid money.
fair enough. i see property and inheritance taxes as being the viable 'wealth tax' options (is property tax EVIL?).
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote