Thread: Weird Question
View Single Post
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 23:18   #32
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird Question

Robbie Earle played in an iconic Wimbledon side and the first Jamaican side to qualify for the World Cup, and has since remained in the public eye through a number of media positions. He has the the right CV. It's also worth considering that the talent you're critiqueing is subject to personal taste. Most people don't seem to have a problem with miserable Mark Lawrenson or Ian 'Ingerland' Wright, but they're not my chosen flavour.

Having said that, I can appreciate that it's not inconceivable that Robbie Earle was employed partly because the ITV directors wanted to attract a section of the population that they thought would identify with him. This, however, is the culture we live in and I've no doubt when Robbie is replaced it will be by a man is expected to boost ITV's ratings the most*, whatever that means, rather than the 'best' pundit. It's all part of a greater problem; that we allow our values be defined by, well, everybody. It is unfortunate that everybody has a tendency to be overly concerned by appearance and often finds itself prey to some fairly suspicious beliefs.

Having just re-worded an awful lot of what you have already said, I suppose it's only fair that I should try and pull it all together and explain myself a little. A coherent point is required! Though I think you've hit upon a fairly important topic, I don't think it's fair to corner the race issue independently. If we want to tackle the issue, it'd be best starting afresh rather than trying to fix it within the present system. As is typical of me, I'm not sure I'm able to suggest a suitable approach.

*I've been lead to believe that this is how ITV remains profitable. Beats me.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote