View Single Post
Unread 6 Feb 2010, 10:04   #29
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of
Re: Single Targeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx View Post
I've enjoyed single-targetting alot. In my opinion it is a lot easier to make balanced and fun stats using single-targetting, compared to multi-targetting which often leads to stagnation and boredom. I do think it would be possible to create a set of stats with some ships having one target and some ships having T1 and T2, might be hard to balance though I guess.
people whine when you do this too (R32 Banshee/Revenant and R33 & R34 Phantom for ex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
After thinking about it for a long time I've decided I don't actually want balanced stats, balanced stats would be boring. What makes the stats (and therefore each round) interesting is finding the imbalances in them and exploiting them. Seeing how the player base exploits the stats each round and trying to determine which ship building path is most optimal for my planet based on what others are building is the most interesting part of the stats in my opinion. Lets face it the attack strategies change very little from one round to the next, only which ships are best for that round. If we were able to create "perfectly" balanced stats then the game would be a lot more static and everyone would build the same things ever round, which would be rather boring really.
the only problem is that people don't actually do this. in R33 the stats favoured cr/bs fortresses, and that was what most of the universe built. there was no real push for fi/co/fr/de in teamups that could exploit any holes with ally def eta, targetting, and init. this round its exactly the same situation. everyone is building fr/de with anti-fi (to combat the handful of cathaar fi players). no one is building cr/bs in any amount to easily stomp the bigger planets or force them to allocate resources which would otherwise lead to a fi/co hole (for instance). everyone always ends up building the same exact thing except for isolated situations. we might as well make a stat set that just has fi/co only class ships which would solve the "unify eta" discussions and remove all thought at what to build since people would rather hide behind fences and do what everyone else is doing instead of using their own brain and playing to compete and have fun.