View Single Post
Unread 26 May 2008, 23:14   #24
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Economic Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go

By efficient I mean the greatest use of resources to seate the greatest number of useful things. Making things on one side of the world to sell on the other side only makes sense if you are talking in terms the creation of money. Money, unlike oil for example, has on intrinsic use value.

If people lose faith in money them it has no value (except for burning etc), whereas the value of oil doesn't change he people stop believeing in it.
Alright, I shall try to answer your question.

You seem to be under the impression that oil has a steady value. But your wrong in that. Oil is only valueable because it saves money compared to burning other materials as fuel. It saves money, it creates money. Burning oil is efficient, even if they burn loads of it. That’s why it’s wanted and that’s why it’s not worth even less. Often it's just more costly to burn less. Because that would mean, that you would have to spend more or sacrifice more valuable things, like time or money.

If people didn’t want to save or create money, if they didn't want to preserve or create wealth, then they could just as well burn something else then oil. Then oil wouldn't be worth anything either. However, not wanting to save or create money, and preserving things of little value while sacrifing something of more value, is not very (economically) efficient.

Last edited by Alessio; 26 May 2008 at 23:21.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote