View Single Post
Unread 11 Aug 2006, 14:14   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: So what do we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
It's difficult to take articles like this seriously when they gloss over the motivation for acts like these, like it's some ****ing mystery.

Of course people are going to die through terrorist actions, but we might want to think why "Islam" suddenly decided it didn't like "us".
we've been at war with "islam" for 1300 years now.

i agree that that was a shitty article, and i would say that flaw is certainly part of the reason, but i haven't heard any policy proposals that would really help (obviously the current admin's policy of "some napalm outta put this fire right out" isn't optimal, but aside from the obvious).

anyway, I (and I assume almost everyone) am in the John Kerry school of thought on the subject. We will never bring about a total end to terrorism, even if there was some Magic Policy that would suddenly make the Islam world love us, I'm sure it would at the same time piss off a bunch of right wing crazies domestically who would take a lil' terror into their own hands. We can't jerk off everyone on the planet at once.

However, over any range of time you can think of, terrorism hasn't been 1% as bad a problem as shitty driving. Competent diplomacy, 'public relations', and counter-terrorism can keep it that way for the forseeable future.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote