View Single Post
Unread 23 May 2006, 16:23   #44
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: We haven't had a book thread in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
I'm suprised noone's mentioned Catch 22 yet.
Rated one of the best books of the 20th century.

I really enjoyed it but other people I know had trouble getting into it.
Catch 22 is most certainly a good book, one I enjoyed. But it is repeating itself over and over again, and after a while, it loses the hold it has on you from the start.

The last I read, was The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. I enjoyed it as entertainment, but it wasn't great in any way. Feist is an acclaimed fantasy writer though, so I will assume others like it more.

Next on the list is Moby Dick (or The White Whale), by Herman Melville. I suppose it could be called one of the classics, and I heard many great things about it, so I'm looking forward to getting on with it sometime this week. Bought it just today, but I haven't looked at it yet. I know the opening line (Call me Ismael), of course, but I didn't know what book it was from before yesterday. Funny how such things can give you impulses overnight.

After that, I think I'll read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It is in my father's bookshelves somewhere, so I'll borrow it together with a few other books. I was thinking about The Divine Comedy by Dante, and The Trial by Franz Kafka. Though, I hear that Dante is writing as if it was a song, and I can't find the book in my own language anywhere (The one my father has is english, and the other one I was able to find was in a different norwegian than my main one). I'm worried about that one, but I got through both The Odyssey and The Iliad, so I suppose I'll manage somehow.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote