View Single Post
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 13:39   #23
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Beta] I'm Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
macrotesting does not involve playing to win in the beta. If they want to set up a planet and test fleet combinations then they should ask pateam to set their fleet to a given specification, provide a target planet with another given specification and run a combat test. After which they should analyse the results - although that may be more microtesting by your definitions.
I disagree. What you're trying to do is to replicate the game as closely as possible, with the restriction of one minute ticks. That means that your fleet should resemble that of the average PA player (one who builds up their fleet as the round goes on and researches new ship classes). The test is how much of a challenge it is to roid another race, and how easy/difficult it is to stop them roiding you.

You're breaking it down too much into the main issues and ignoring the side-issues which still contribute towards the whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
Anyone playing simply to win is not actively searching for bugs, and has no place in a beta test.
They may stumble across one passively but thats just not good enough to be a part of beta testing. Far too many people see it as a free speedround and treat it as such.
There's a clear difference between simply macrotesting (as I and many other testers did) and treating the beta as a speedround. I've already gone through these, so I won't explain again. Sure, if someone's going to play to win AND doesn't discuss their strategies, tactics and opinions on the game, then they're probably not the best beta tester and perhaps asking them not to play would be the right option. However, you're getting a little fascist here - there would be little point in a beta where no-one was attempting to build a decent planet.