View Single Post
Unread 12 Jul 2010, 18:50   #138
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: If I could make three changes to Planetarion, they'd be .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
When the drop in ship costs happened scans become 10 times more expensive then they used to be.
What.

Quote:
Partly disagreeing, scans are expensive. (...) While this may be less of a problem for alliances - as you have demonstrated by taking the numbers from the most efficiently playing alliance - this is indeed a problem for new players, or players without access to dedicated scanners. Even more so in the beginning of a round where 20 ships can make a hell of a difference.
Firstly, in the beginning of the round, people do not have access to the most expensive scans (jumpgate, advanced unit scan) and so make do with less expensive ones (landing scan, unit scan, news scan). These are also the scans that solo players should refer to later in the round, whenever possible.

Secondly, you're overplaying the amount of difference "20 ships" can make. Even at the beginning of the round, even if they're Terran battleships, 20 ships will never have a significant impact.

Thirdly, the numbers Cowch gave us are nothing short of ridiculous. 37k resources a tick is 60 advanced unit scans, 20 jumpgate probes, 10 incoming scans, 20 news scans, 20 dev scans and 48 planet scans, every single day. I would be hard pressed to spend a quarter of that, even as a solo player.

Quote:
Also, something that just sprang to my mind - why is the game designed in a way that you have to have dedicated scanners?
Why, indeed. One could point out that it's a team game, but (as I know you agree), a game that requires some people to give up on playing "properly" just to make sure others can is not doing a particularly good job. Cooperation is one thing, harakiri is quite another.

Quote:
This is in no way stated anywhere, and the whole sign up process as well as the manual is more trying to stress a point that playing a different race means the game will be a different experience (which is not true except for being Cathaargh, there you just sign up to be a victim). So I think this is due some attention as well, even though not necessarily top priority.
Agreed.

[edit]Note, I'm not saying that norbert newbie doesn't spend more on scans than vera veteran, but surely scan costs are tjhe least of norb's concerns. Efficiency is one of the main reasons why alliances were formed and why they still exist. I have no problem with there being that incentive to join one.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 12 Jul 2010 at 19:17.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote