Thread: New PC
View Single Post
Unread 19 Jan 2008, 18:41   #58
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: New PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
You are right on account of a technicality
The technicality being that you were talking about a different card. I'd never recommend the "premier" card to anyone, and if you note in this thread I've been advising against what you seem to think I am proposing.

Quote:
As a previous owner of a Geforce 4200 Ti I can contest that a sub $200 card can't even be compared for value to a $400-500 beast as the 8800GT.
The 8800GT costs ~$215-250, or is this rather significant part of your argument a mere technicality as well?

Of course, your argument is nonsensical in the first place. If a £300 graphics card performed twice as well as a £150 graphics card then the price:performance would be the same, which is the measure I'm talking about. Absolute performance differences tend to be in the order of 20% at most, decreasing to a tiny amount between the top two cards which are nonetheless seperated by ~£50 or more in terms of price. You're making arguments that make no sense with complaints that don't apply to the card with demonstrably false statements (which will follow, this paragraph was edited in).

Quote:
Unfortunately those that believe any of the 8800 series are value for money were clearly whitewashed by Nvidias cunning marketing.
The price:performance of the 8800 series, on launch, was similar to or better than the previous generation. The 8800GTS was a good 10% or better improvement on the ATi X1950XTX despite costing about the same.

Is running games better part of this cunning marketing plan? I mean, there's a correlation between standard of product and sales but I think that's more down to the engineers than the marketing department.

In addition, I don't think whitewash means what you think it means. What you said was that the people who believe that the 8800 series are good value for money were covered up by Nvidia's cunning marketing.

Quote:
They in reality are little more than a cash-cow for Nvidia to get as much money from early adoptors as possible before they have to drop the 9900GT/GTX bomb (figuratively speaking since actual specs/names are as yet unconfirmed).
If they are a cashcow, it's because they're by far the best performing graphics cards that exist in PC gaming and have a pretty staggering price:relative performance.

Who do you think is comparing the 8800GT to the 4200Ti or the 9800 Pro? It aint nvidia.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 19 Jan 2008 at 18:48.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote