View Single Post
Unread 7 Jun 2007, 00:01   #68
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Who Wants to Be Second Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
There, you are only likely to be taken on board and taken seriously if you either a) conform to their individual political culture, or b) acquiesce to it. In a PR system, there will obviously be individual political cultures for all the new parties, but the increased number is important, and ergo is more representative.
I guess. I used to be quite interested in electoral reform back in the day, for the reasons you mention. I have dim memories of attending a Charter 88 meeting with T&F and being mildly interested in the mathematics of how things might look under the STV or List system or whatever flavour you're interested in. And the parties of the extreme left (even the anti-parliamentary ones) are keen for PR as it might mean one day they get their deposits back (which are a pain for their tiny memberships to raise). But I just don't have much hope in parliamentary politics to the point where I'd prefer for political activity outside of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I am very serious about wanting an answer because as things stand you have typed a non offensive truism and wrapped it in disturbing rhetoric
I do not really see why you think it disturbing, but I shall try to explain what I meant. I attribute many of the problems with our political culture to a misunderstanding of where power (or even agency) lies. At an extreme level, some people seem to have forgotten that they have the ability to affect societal (or even personal) change without having to involve government. This breeds a particular kind of depressing cynicism and disengagement. To rediscover this power (or agency) would be to take the first step to improving our political culture. All of this is fairly banal and I make no claims at orignality.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote